Saturday, December 10, 2016


My knee replacement operation took place at Skagit Northwest Orthopedics outpatient surgery center in Mount Vernon on Tuesday morning.  I use the term “outpatient” literally.  As soon as I awoke from surgery, every effort was made to get me up and out the door.  Doctor Hanesworth said the operation went according to plan.  The good part of the knee stayed, the bad part was taken out and replaced.

No Mr. Cornelius, we will not be disturbing anything down there!

I was feeling giddy on Wednesday.  I had no pain and was thinking this operation was a piece of cake.  I don’t need no pain medication!  By dinnertime my perspective changed.  The local anesthesia wore off and I was in agony.  My knee was a train wreck.

Like peanut butter and jelly or macaroni and cheese, the combination of Percocet and Vistaril work wonders, especially when one is in a good deal of pain.  Used together, on a four to six hour interval, these two drugs provide my chemical pain management (Lisa provides for my physical and emotional pain management).  I learned the hard way, I don’t want to reduce the pill’s frequency of use.  If I do, the pain becomes unmanageable.  My Wednesday night lesson had been learned.  Lisa gets me up every night to make sure I stay on my medication schedule.

One of the most unpleasant side effects of Percocet and Vistaril is that my mind is in a constant fog.  As such, I’ve suspended day trading and in making any important decisions.  Lisa said something about buying a new car when I was in surgery, but I can’t remember the specifics.  


I began my physical therapy sessions on Friday from Kim Miller.  “Ice and movement are your friend” said Kim.  I’m staying on schedule with my exercises as well as with the ice applications.  


My sweet wife bought a “Cold Rush” machine, a machine which keeps cold water circulating around my knee.  With Lisa’s help I’m hoping for a speedy recovery.


Here is a picture of my left leg.  I’ve been instructed to leave the big bandage on until I see the doctor in a couple of weeks.  The incisions above and below my knee are confusing.  Lisa and I guess they have something to do with the robot that was used during the surgery.  Do you have any ideas?


Lisa and I spent last weekend with Ian, Kaylene, and family.  Sunday was Foster’s baby blessing at church.   


On Saturday, while the girls got their nails done, Ian, Lucas and I learned how to squid fish.  We received an hour of in-class instruction at the Point Defiance Marina in Tacoma, and then we made our way to the dock to see if we could catch any of them.  I caught one!  We took him home and Ian cleaned the squid and fried him up as a dinner appetizer.   Not bad.

 

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing about those incisions above and below your knee! Not sure what they are! Glad things are going well, a full recovery is on its way. You have such a sweet wife that takes such good care of you.

    ReplyDelete