I’m 65 years old. How the heck did that happen?
Turning 65 is one of life passages, an important transitional period in one’s life, such as having children or getting married. It seems most people target reaching 65 as a milestone for retirement, but I’ll never retire if retirement means not participating in some sort of business venture or physical activity.
When I was 30, 40, or even 50, I couldn’t imagine ever being 65. It simply didn’t compute. Then, without warning, I’m here. I don’t feel any older. Sure, my kids are in their 30’s, but that’s some kind of cosmic trick. I’ve got grandkids approaching middle school but that, too, is an unexplainable aberration, a puzzling black hole in the fabric of my life.
In some societies, turning 65 means instant recognition for accumulated wisdom. On the other hand I’ve already experienced a marginalization of sorts when attempting to converse with the younger generation. It’s as if I’m not even in the room. Hello, I’m here! Not always, but sometimes.
Is it because I’m beginning to look like I might be 65? That’s the tough part. Personally, I choose to ignore those telltale nose and ear hairs, the age spots on my skin, and my sagging muscles. I don’t avoid mirrors. I simply don’t recognize that guy looking back at me.
One of my kids asked me if I felt 65. Well, yes and no, now that I think about it. The “yes” part is that my life experiences have taught me quite a lot. I’m happy about that. I have more confidence as a 65 year old than I ever could have had as a 30 year old. There can be no substitute for decades of dealing with and solving problems, of survival through hard times, of seeing one’s own progress in striving to get better.
My body keeps reminding me I’m 65, although I’m one of the lucky ones who is in fairly good health. I am grateful every day for this fact. When a friend or classmate dies suddenly, I get perspective as to how lucky I am.
My ideas about being 65 have evolved. I’m aware that I’m getting ever closer to the end of life’s conveyer belt, but I see 65 on the road ahead and it’s all good, for now. I’m younger today than I’ll ever be. I should celebrate my relative youth and toast to the beauty of experience and being wiser than I was at 20.
Lisa has made my 65th birthday a memorable one. Lisa took some time off work and we were able to go golfing (Lisa did really well), watched a movie together, went hiking with Jim and Tisa, walked around the Saturday Market, went to Friday Harbor with the Treiber’s and the Weaver’s, had dinner with Norm and Mary, and invited a few couples over for cake and ice cream (Once again Lisa made my mother’s cake recipe. Yum, yum). Thank you all for your birthday cards, gifts and well wishes.
On hike with Jim and Tisa on Fidalgo Island
Trip to Friday Harbor
Limbs of a 125 year old Camperdown Elm tree in Friday Harbor
New birthday ties from Chelsi, Demri, and Scotty
Lisa's cake making handiwork

No comments:
Post a Comment