Monday, August 26, 2019

I think I will begin this post as a continuation of a post back in June where I spoke about pebbles. No, not Fred and Wilma’s daughter Pebbles, the pebbles we find on the beach.

Like many people I have always collected rocks. They are satisfying, varied, abundant, and comforting to hold. Whether on the rocky coast of Oregon or Washington, or the flat sandy beaches of North Carolina, I cannot help but fill my pockets. The beauty of beach pebbles is there is no definitive collection; there are always more fantastic specimens to gather from the shore. While friends Pete and Sari travel Europe, they have promised to bring me home a small collection of stones they have collected. I can’t wait.

Choosing the right stone is a bit of artistry in collaboration with nature. I’m always looking for the next best stone. Below is this weeks shared collection.

These small stones were taken from Rosario Beach, a ten minute drive from our home in Anacortes. At some point in their creation, the fracturing of the rocks allowed the black mineral to fill the breaks and form the veins running through them.



The same action that created the stones above also created the stones below, although quartz dissolved into the cracks and mended the stones.


The bands that compose these small stones reflect the subtle rhythms of the sea, river, and winds that lay sediments down.  Over time, the sediments build up into layers, each made of slightly different minerals.


In all my research I’ve not been able to learn how the little chiclets formed to make these stones. Maybe Brian, my geologist friend, can tell me?


Lisa’s sister’s Kate and Christine, and Christine’s husband Dave, came out and spent a week with us. Other than walking the docks and seeing the local sights, this visit Lisa coordinated a flight around Orcas Island on a float plane, a 1958 De Havilland Beaver. See pictures below.


While the girls hung out, I took Dave to the shooting range and Ian took us crabbing.  


 While the crab pots were in the water, we took a detour to La Conner.


Tied up to the dock is John Wayne’s first yacht, the Norwester.


John Wayne bought the Norwester from his manager in 1955. La Conner’s Visitor Center Director, says she heard the legendary actor had to buy it after damaging the 76-foot long yacht.

“John Wayne wasn't a very effective captain,” she said. “Might have had something to do with the alcohol.”


Wayne not only traveled aboard the Norwester with his family, but also invited several notable Hollywood actors aboard. Cary Grant and Gary Cooper were among the famed guests.


Lisa and I took our guests down to our beach house in Greenbank. While there we spotted a rare Piebald Blacktail deer.




Below are additional pictures from our week.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment