Friday, June 17, 2016

Thanks for the memories.  You’ve been a great companion these last 62 plus years and I’m sorry to see you go.  We’ve been through a lot together, seen the world, climbed mountains high and dove oceans deep, but it is finally time to say good-bye.  Frankly, you have become a pain in the a$$ and I, at long last, have made the mental and emotional transition required to make this separation a success. 

If you haven’t already guessed I’m becoming part of a rapidly growing affinity group of Americans, roughly my same age, who have chosen to have knee replacement surgery to relieve their chronic pain.  Until recently, the fear of the unknown, of replacing original equipment with something that comes out of a box, is exactly what has kept me out of the operating room.  But the fear of losing more sleep, of not being able to take long walks with my bride, or the fear of possibly not being able to play golf is a fear stronger than the unknown. 

Having now shared my decision with you, perhaps a short backstory is in order.

This final operation(?), my sixth surgery on the left knee, was 51 years in the making.  It dates back to when I was in 6th grade at Adams Grade School, on recess, and playing football with my teacher, Mr. Pusc, and classmates.  I caught a pass from Mr. Pusc, fell down, and my left knee hit a small rock hidden in the grass.  Boy did my knee hurt and it bothered me for years.


High School Era Gymnastics Picture 

During my senior year at Corvallis High School I was working on a floor maneuver during gymnastics practice.  I was performing a series of back-handsprings into a full twisting layout.  My body above my knees made the twist, but the rest didn’t keep up with the momentum.  I tore the cartilage in the knee and a few months following I had my first surgery.  If arthroscopic surgery had been available back in 1971, I doubt I’d be in the situation I find myself in today.  The surgery at that time was much more radical and invasive.  In the 1980’s and 90’s five more surgeries were required to remove cartilage, small pieces that were floating freely in the knee joint, causing the knee to catch.  There is little cartilage left in the joint and arthritis has settled in during the last few years.  Until recently I’ve been able to run and walk within reason, wanting to get as many miles out of my knee as possible.  But the constant rubbing of bone on bone is no longer tolerable and here is where I find myself today.

Looking ahead as to when this surgery might occur, I simply need to find six not so busy weeks in my schedule for down time and recovery.  Lisa and I are thinking December.

Lisa’s niece Molly, her husband Duane, and their four boys spent a few days with us last week.  Since they had never been to this part of Washington, we took them to all the touristy places, out on the sailboat, on a ferry, and of course collecting agates on the beach.  Below are some pictures from our time together.  I wish I had a picture of Duane falling in the water while he tried to tie the boat up at the dock, but it all happened so quickly.  Sadly, that humorous event will be captured in memory only.

No comments:

Post a Comment