Sunday, April 17, 2016

Chelsi, Eric, Aspen, Oakley, and Birch came out for a visit a few weeks ago.  We had a wonderful time with everyone and we got out of the house daily to see the sights.  See photos below.  Of course it rained every day, only clearing up the day after they left for Idaho.  Chelsi said she jinxed the weather.


Just prior to leaving Hewlett-Packard (HP) in 2005, I penned a departure letter and sent it out to my HP friends and work associates.  My email was genuinely welcomed and I received numerous emails expressing gratitude for the things I had written.

I penned a similar letter for my departure from government service and sent a draft copy to a work associate, Gary Tobin, asking Gary to review the email before I sent it out.  Gary wrote back and said, “Don't send it.  People will be offended.”  I thought to myself, “Wow, people in government service need to get a life.  There is nothing negative about the letter, and how could they be offended.”

Not wanting to let the idea die I asked another work associate, Sara Lane, if she would read what I had written.  I told her what Gary had said and that it was important for me to know if she had a similar perspective.  After Sarah’s review she sent to me the following, “I really appreciate the sentiment, however I can see what Gary is saying.  Some people may misinterpret.  It’s not that it is offensive, but people extract from writing what they will.  Just as I extract a nice prompt to pick up and move on, others might extract a condemnation of who they are if they are stuck in a routine that they cannot exit for personal, medical, financial, or emotional reasons.  Individuals must come to a revelation on their own, just as you have.”

After talking with Lisa we decided it best that I not send out a departure letter this time.  I will quietly set sail into the sunset without any announcement of my leaving.

It is quite telling, the difference in response to basically the same expression, sentiment, and communication.  People in the private sector of business (HP) were advocates; those in government service would find reason to be offended.  Yes, quite telling.


Lisa went into the local Weight Watcher's facility to talk with them about signing up for their weight loss program.  Lisa is wanting to lose 10 pounds by our Hawaii trip in the fall.  Not surprising, they would not sign her up.  Even though Weight Watchers changed the enrollment rules, Lisa failed to meet the minimum maximum weight requirement.  Sorry dear, you look fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment