Friday, April 22, 2016


Thursday was my last day in the office of Public Works at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.  When I got home from work on Thursday, Lisa had “Celebration” music playing in the house, and grabbing my arm, we twirled around for a quick dance.  I had requested from my supervisor that I not be given any recognition when I left.  I simply wanted to go quietly, and I did.  So when I got home to find things not so quiet, I was completely surprised.  Thank you Lisa for celebrating my departure from government service.

I have mixed emotions about leaving.  One of the great things about the job was working with numerous good contractors.  Many were excellent, hardworking, and honest people.  One of the contractors I have especially enjoyed working with over the years sent me an email this week:

“I was surprised to learn that you will be leaving NAVFAC soon. You will be greatly missed.

I have sincerely enjoyed working with you these past few years and have always found you to be knowledgeable, reasonable and perhaps most importantly, fair. You have been a key advocate for Valdez Construction and I (we) have always greatly appreciated your desire to be unbiased and to see both sides.

In case I don't see you before you go, I wish you the best in whatever new endeavors you choose after NAVFAC. It has been a pleasure to know you.”



Ian called us a few months ago and asked if Lisa and I would be willing to host an outing on the sailboat (Syntony), in the San Juan Islands, for him and some of his buddies.  That request was the catalyst that got us focused on getting the boat prepared for this year’s sailing; scrubbing down the interior and putting a new coat of oil on the teak woodworking, replacing the foam in all the cushions, cleaning the fabric, refinishing exterior sun damaged woodwork, etc.  When the boys showed up at the sailboat on the afternoon of April 7th, Syntony was ready for its first getaway of the year.  Lisa stocked the galley with tons of food and paper products, had installed new carpet runners for the floor, provided towels, sleeping bags and pillows for everyone (what a great hostess).



Our first destination was Rosario Resort on Orcas Island.  Since there was little wind we motored along the east side of Blakely Island, turned west through Obstruction Pass, and then north into East Sound, arriving at Rosario Resort late in the afternoon.  Because of light winds we had no difficulty docking the sailboat.  Getting into, or out of, a boat slip is one of the most challenging things one can do when piloting a sailboat, especially with any kind of wind.


We had dinner in the lounge, listening to a very skilled piano player who seemed to use every black and white key in front of him, moving up and down the scales with ease.  It was great fun listening to him play.  Rosario Resort offers a fabulous deal for boaters who come in the off season.  Free use of the spa and exercise facilities.  And that is what we did the next morning.  We felt like resort guests, not just sailors mooraging for the night.  Once again, we found ourselves with no wind, so we motored south out of East Sound on our way to Friday Harbor, stopping at Picnic Bay to have lunch (how appropriate).

When we arrived at Friday Harbor the wind was blowing from the south.  We contacted the harbormaster and he said we could use any available slip on “G” dock to park our sailboat.  Slowly motoring down the fairway between “G” and “H” dock, I identified slip number 22 on my port side to dock the sailboat.  Miscalculating the strength of the wind I turned too late, and failing to give the boat enough power, the sailboat began, what turned out to be a slow 360 degree turn.  Men and boys, on the dock and on boats around us, were scrambling every which way and that to make sure we didn’t whack Syntony into the dock or into any unwary boats around us.  Miraculously, Syntony turned completely around.  Unscathed we continued nervously down the fairway looking for the next open slip.  Number 44 on our port side was in my sight.  This time I turned sooner, but still not soon enough.  Déjà vu.’  Similar events began to unfold before our panicky eyes.  The bow of the boat made it into the slip, but the stern picked up the wind and was passing beyond the dock and was going to take us out of the slip once again.  A young man on the dock witnessed what was happening and came to our rescue.  One of the boys quickly threw him the bow line and then most of the boys jumped off the sailboat onto the dock to manhandle Syntony into place.  Once Syntony was tied off we could all breathe a sigh of relief.  This was not my finest hour.  How embarrassing.  I still had a lot to learn about docking a sailboat in the wind.

When I checked in with the harbormaster, to register Syntony for the night, he asked what slip our sailboat was in.  I said, “Well we started to dock in slip 22 but ended up in slip 44.”  The confused looked on his face said it all.




The next morning BJ arrived on the 10:00 ferry from Anacortes.  BJ joined us on Syntony and we motored out of Friday Harbor heading east, then south between San Juan and Lopez Islands.  Our intent was to motor around the southern end of Lopez Island on our return trip to Anacortes, but we could see fog in the distance and turned around on a path that would take us around the north end of the island.


To get to Skyline Marina (where we keep the sailboat) you have to go through Burrows Pass, located between Burrows Island and Washington Park.  As we were motoring through Burrows Pass, Lisa, Erin (and baby Reagan), and Marie were in the park, on the hillside above us, waving and taking pictures.


When we got to the marina the girls got onboard and we took them for a quick trip around Burrows Island.  Returning to our slip on dock “D” I piloted Syntony into the slip like a professional.  Yes, I must appear like I know what I’m doing, especially when Lisa is around.
 


While we were on our outing in the islands, Lisa took the girls around the area and showed them the sights.  See picture below.


While sailing with "the boys" on our trip into the San Juan Islands, I picked up a sailing magazine from the marina.  The article from the magazine is below and talks about human ballasts.  Human ballasts are the members of a sailing crew who sit on the upper edge of the sailboat when the boat is heeled over and sailing in high winds.

SAN FRANCISCO - A group of protestors recently assembled outside the St. Vincent Yacht Club to protest treatment of race crews, specific all the subjugation of humans to the mind numbing humiliation of serving as human ballast during regattas.  Protestors carried signs reading "Meat is dead" and "People are people too" while marching alongside larger than life paper mache’ effigies of T-bone steaks wearing foulies, and links of sausage draped over a lifeline - images fast becoming symbols for the movement.

"It's just cruel," stated a protestor who asked not to be named.  "The treatment of rail meat is a global problem that has got to be addressed."  He went on to elaborate on the cramped conditions, inadequate time for activity and movement, cold and wet environment, and often inhumane treatment of race crews.  "Sometimes they are addressed simply as "Meat."  I mean, who does that?  I grew up on a farm and even the animals we ate had names."

In addition to raising awareness of the issue, the aim of the protest was to unveil "The Pledge," a list of recommended ethical on-board best practices for enlightened racing vessels.  Such practices include:

"Free range" crews should be allowed to stand and roam the vessel in order to forage and mate as they would in nature.
Use of only locally sourced, cruelty free winches and handles.
Empowerment focused, consensus-based decision making is to replace outdated power structure, designed to oppress the crew and bend them to the will of the skipper.
True "Vegan" crews may use no human ballast at all.
Ceasing the use of vessel crews for the testing of makeup, experimental drugs, and emerging profanities.

"We're in the process of submitting The Pledge to the ISAF for global implementation, but for now we're encouraging voluntary compliance and self-certification."  Skippers adopting the pledge will receive a framed certificate and a ribbon for participation that can be displayed in the place of awards for top finishes.

More information can be found on various activism blogs or in hand written notes tacked to the bulletin board at your local independent co-op.


The article is so nonsensical it needs no commentary from me.


This is what we have been seeing this week on our evening walk.  Lisa is pictured.

No comments:

Post a Comment