Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Happy 59th birthday to my bride!

Happy 36th birthday Ian!

It really is the circle of life when it comes to your body.  When I got out of high school I wore a pant size of 29”.  That 29 inches grew to 34 inches by the time I had reached the age of thirty.  Up until last year I had maintained that 34 inch pant waist size with little variation.  Recently I had to purchase pants in a 33 inch waist because size 34 are simply too big for me now.  If I had my car keys, my cell phone, and my wallet in my pockets, my 34 waist pants would drop to my knees. 

Lisa and I were shopping on Saturday and we decided I should get some pants that fit me.  Well, now pants with a 33 inch waist are too big for me and I had to purchase some in size 32.  At this rate I’ll be back in a 29 inch pant in a couple of years.  By the time I’m eighty years old I’ll be in size 12.   

When I used to work for the government (gee, it seems like just yesterday) I would write about my experiences and include them in my blog postings.  Now that my work focus has changed, I’m less likely to write about my work going forward, simply because I don’t like to share with others what I am doing.  Lisa and I have learned from first hand experience that trading the markets is a controversial subject.  So this will likely be one of the few times you’ll see me write about trading.

Now that I am trading in the stock and futures market on a daily basis, I’m continuing to educate myself on trading in those markets (I’m taking an online class this week).  And as such, I have come to understand that Lisa and I have been educated the last couple of years to think different than the conventional wisdom.  

One of the things I find interesting is how we are taught to do certain things and how we learn, specifically when it comes to anything that has to do with competing.  In the United States for example, we compete for jobs, money, better this and better that.  Do you realize that in the biggest democracy in history, our school systems don’t teach classes on how to compete (Other than maybe in sports)?  

Have you also noticed the natural education path of our school system is to train everyone to think the same way.  This is bad news for those who already have the herd mentality, yet great news for those who focus on the simplicities and opportunities of competition.  It all begins with thinking and acting different.  If you bring the herd mentality mindset to competing and trading in the markets, you will likely hand over the money in your account to those who think and act different about the market.

In capitalism, there is typically a winner and, unfortunately, a loser, yet people in this country are rarely taught how to compete or think differently.  In fact, it’s the opposite.  When children grow up, get a job, and begin to compete into the business world, in many ways they are unprepared for the reality of competition.  They want the company where they work, Company A, to succeed.  But for their company to be profitable, another company, say competing Company B, will be losing money (or not making as much money) because Company A is earning revenue from those customers who use or buy Company A’s product, not Company B.

The same applies to multiple people competing for a single job opening at Company A.  The fortunate one who lands the job does so at the expense of those who didn’t get the job.  Where someone succeeds, someone fails.  It’s called competition.     
     
Some of the books I’ve read that teach conventional Technical Analysis tend to teach it the same way, which offers little to no competitive edge.  Lisa and I are careful in not taking the same action the masses do in the markets, for they are not the ones who consistently make a profit.  Like Company A, we are the ones who want to make a profit.  To do so takes effort, time, and persistence.  This is our reality. 


Lisa and I spent Sunday with Ian and Kaylene at their home in Federal Way.  In the afternoon we drove to at the Rhododendron Botanical Garden and walked the grounds.  It was warm, sunny, and beautiful, and most plants were in bloom.  Below are a few pictures taken at the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment